Sunday January 19th – Slavery in Mamaroneck Township

John Peter Delancey, with his wife and three of his slaves. From the mural “The Marriage of James Fenimore Cooper to Susan DeLancey, 1811″ painted in 1937 by Warre Chase Merritt for the Mamaroneck Public Library.

When:                  Sunday January 19th for 3:30 to 5:00 PM
Where:                 The Larchmont Village Center behind the Library

The Federal Census documents that in 1790 more than 10% of the people residing in the Town of Mamaroneck were slaves. Gilbert Budd, who owned the most slaves between 1790 and 1810, served as the Clerk of Mamaroneck Township. In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in Larchmont and Mamaroneck, when community reflects on freedom and human rights and recalls their antithesis, slavery, the Larchmont Historical Society’s January program recalls Bet, Phelby, Candice, Nelly, Charlot, Jack, Hannibal, Telemaque, George, Lewis, Dorathea, John and Andrew. They were slaves – not on a Southern plantation – but here in what is today the Town of Mamaroneck, where slavery was practiced in the 1600s and 1700s and did not recede until the 1820s.

Ned Benton, LHS Board Member and webmaster, will describe the slavery that took place in Mamaroneck Township, identifying the slaves and their slaveholders, their places of residence, and present the proof,  including official Town records.

His presentation will focus particularly on two local slaves, John Cox and Andrew Cole,  who escaped to side with the British during the Revolutionary War and were rewarded at the end of the war with their freedom and passage to Nova Scotia.

The presentation is based on the Historical Society’s website “Slavery in Mamaroneck Township” at http://slavery.mamaroneckhistory.org which assembles all of the available documentation on slavery in what is today the Town of Mamaroneck.