You’re Invited to Irish Night, March 14, 2015!

irishnighttickets2

On March 14, 2015 beginning at 7 pm, the Larchmont Historical Fire Company – a committee of the Larchmont Historical Society – will host its traditional Irish Night celebration at the American Legion Hall in Flint Park, Larchmont, NY. Get Your Tickets Now: The party is open to all: tickets are $50, with discounts for members of the LHS, veterans and fire companies. Click to purchase tickets. Irish Night, hosted for almost a century by Larchmont Fire Department’s Engine Company, celebrated the heritage of many of the firefighters with a traditional St. Patrick’s Day’s feast of corned beef and cabbage rounded…

10,000+ Photos: Access the LHS Digital Photo Archive

Manor Beach During the Hurricane of 1938

On Sunday, January 25, 2015, at the Larchmont Village Center, LHS board member Ned Benton displayed some of the best images from the LHS vast online archive and shared techniques for searching through the many collections. The archive is easy to reach at Photo Archives,  and there are online instructions. However, finding a particular image on a specific subject  may take a bit of finesse — and that’s where Mr. Benton provided help. In his talk he gave pointers on how to get started and how to drill down to find that special picture. Over 10,000 digital images have been amassed online from photographs dating back to the 1800s. The LHS has…

Celebrate Larchmont’s 125th: 1891-2016

On September 22, 1891, the Larchmont Manor Company was dissolved and the community was officially incorporated as the Village of Larchmont. To mark this momentous occasion, the Village of Larchmont Board of Trustees established a quasquicentennial celebration coordination committee, Larchmont 125, comprised of Larchmont area residents with ties to the local business, historical, educational, and…

From the Archives: Early History of the Larchmont Fire Department

The firehouse (left) and the original Village Hall next door, built by the Larchmont Manor Company to be a school, though it was never used for that purpose, stood on Circle Avenue until it was razed in 1926.

In the late 1880s what had developed as a summertime vacation colony had become a community of several hundred residents needing such regular services as water mains, hydrants and trolleys. Large cottages were being erected for full time residence, there were several vacation hotels and a business district was growing by the Boston Post Rd. Due to a…